polis, the Austrian Centre for Citizenship Education in Schools supports teachers in putting citizenship education into practice at schools. Apart from knowledge transfer activities polis also engages in awareness raising and sensitisation for all issues concerning politics, democracy and human rights.
polis works under contract to the Austrian Federal Ministry of Education, Science and Research/Department I/1 [Citizenship Education].
The main tasks of polis are, among others:
- support of the internet portal: www.politik-lernen.at
- periodical for teachers "polis aktuell"
- purchase, publishing and distribution of teaching materials on citizenship education
- in-service teacher trainings
- workshops for school classes
- organisation of events, e.g. Austrian Citizenship Days
- coordination of the Competition for Civic Education (organised by the German Federal Agency for Civic Education) in Austria
- consultation and support of teachers
- national and international co-operation in networks such as DARE, EPAN, NECE or with the United Nations
- further projects: Vienna's First Protest Path, Network EUrope at school, European Parliament Ambassador School Programme, Reference Framework of Competences for Democratic Culture ...
Director: Patricia Hladschik
Staff Members: Ingrid Ausserer, Elisabeth Turek
Patricia Hladschik, firstname.lastname@example.org