The Ludwig Boltzmann Institute of Fundamental and Human Rights receives basic funding from the Ludwig Boltzmann Gesellschaft amounting to approximately 25% of its total budget. The remaining 75% of funding comes from project grants and donations from private sponsors. In addition, the institute receives in-kind contributions from its institutional partner, the University of Vienna. In 2022, the institute’s budget volume is around 2.8 million euros.

Most of the project funds (about 50 %) come from various Directorates-General of the European Commission. In the area of EU enlargement, this is done in particular within the framework of the Twinning instrument. Other programmes from which our projects have been and are funded are the Justice and Rights, Equality and Citizenship and DAPHNE programmes (Directorate General Justice and Consumers), the European Instrument for Democracy and Human Rights (Europeaid) and the 7th Framework Programme or HORIZON 2020 (Directorate General Research).

The ongoing cooperation with the Principality of Liechtenstein, which supports the institute’s work on the prevention of human trafficking, as well as with the Austrian Chamber of Labour, which cooperates with the institute on the topic of social rights, and the City of Vienna in cooperation with the Human Rights Talks, also plays an important role. The Federal Ministry of Justice and the Ministry of Social Affairs also regularly support the work of the LBI-GMR.

In recent years, the institute has received commitments for multi-year projects from various Austrian research funds, such as the Fund for the Promotion of Scientific Research (FWF), the Jubilee Fund of the Austrian National Bank, the Climate Fund and the Future Fund.

In addition, several private foundations support the work of the LBI-GMR, including the Straniak Foundation for many years and most recently the Porticus Foundation within the framework of the “Global Study on Children Deprived of Liberty”.

Furthermore, our work is characterised by numerous cooperations with NGOs, ministries, public bodies, international organisations, companies and donors, which make publications, events and smaller projects possible.

We would like to thank all our partners and sponsors for their long-term cooperation and support.

Details on project funding can be found in the individual project descriptions.