Global Study on Children Deprived of Liberty: Implementation of Recommendations
The Global Study on Children Deprived of Liberty was successfully launched in Geneva on 19 November 2019 around the celebration of the 30th anniversary of the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child. The Ludwig Boltzmann Institute of Human Rights (BIM) in Vienna coordinated the Global Study process, in cooperation with the OHCHR and hosted a press conference in Vienna.
Helmut Sax, expert on children’s rights at BIM, is working on a toolkit providing guidance and a consolidated overview of best practices (model legislation, strategies and action plans) for governments, national human rights institutions and civil society on the areas of action identified in the study.
As Secretary General of the GCHR and lead author of the Global Study, Manfred Nowak remains committed and engaged to share the recommendations of the Global Study throughout all world regions during high level events and meetings.
GLOBAL STUDY EVENTS 2020
- 17–19 February 2020: Regional Launch Eastern Asia, GCHR, RLAF & UNICEF – Bangkok, Thailand
- 10–11 March 2020: High-Level Events, Swiss Government – Bern, Switzerland
- 18–19 March 2020: High-Level Events, DCI Netherlands & DCI Belgium – Brussels, Belgium & Amsterdam, Netherlands
- 23 March 2020: Round Table on Access to Justice, Council of Europe – Strasbourg, France
- 14–18 April 2020: Regional Launch MENA & Global Classroom, GCHR & International University Rabat – Rabat, Morocco
- 25–31 Mai 2020 (tbc): Regional Launch South America, GCHR & University of San Martin – Buenos Aires, Argentina & Montevideo, Uruguay
RECENT PUBLICATIONS AND RESOURCES
- Prison Reform International: Global Prison Trends 2019
- UNHCR: Beyond Detention 2014-2019
- Human Rights Council: Children and armed conflict (2019)
- Independent Inquiry Child Sexual Abuse: Executive summary
- General Comment No. 24 (2019) on Children´s Rights in the Child Justice System
- Resolution adopted by the General Assembly in 2019 on the Rights of the Child