Atlas of Torture: An Information and Cooperation Platform to Fight Torture and Ill-Treatment World-wide
About the Project
Research Topic & Roadmap
Despite the universal prohibition torture and other forms of ill-treatment continue to be a cruel reality around the world. At the same time, there is a lack of awareness of the problem. As the UN Special Rapporteur on Torture describes, we live in a time of “collective amnesia”, where official reports and public opinion trivialize and even condone torture in the name of security and the fight against terrorism. In the process, the suffering and damage it causes is forgotten.
This is exactly what the researchers of the programme line “Human Dignity and Public Security” of the Ludwig Boltzmann Institute of Fundamental and Human Rights (LBI-GMR) together with the Italian partner organization Huridocs want to fight against.
Although numerous international and domestic actors are engaged in the fight against torture and other forms of ill-treatment, access to relevant information is insufficient. Moreover, a lack of coordination between different actors leads to regular overlaps and unused synergies.
The information and communication platform “Atlas of Torture” aims to affirm organizations and individuals in their action and strengthen the global fight against torture and ill-treatment by:
- creating or raising awareness of the problem of torture and ill-treatment
- making information on torture and ill-treatment easily accessible
- making the work of actors involved in the fight against torture and ill-treatment more visible
- strengthening the exchange and cooperation
The website will contain three core elements:
- The database: The core element of the new “Atlas of Torture” will be a user-friendly database on the situation of torture and other forms of ill-treatment and their prevention.
- The project and activity map: The second element of the website is a map of relevant actors involved in the fight against torture and other forms of ill-treatment. This helps to reduce overlaps between different actors and facilitates coordination and cooperation.
- The learning and exchange platform: This is the third pillar of the website and enables users to learn more about the topic and to exchange information about torture and other forms of ill-treatment.
The “Atlas of Torture” is a one-stop-shop for researchers and practitioners. It provides easy and free access to up-to-date information and strategies for the prevention of torture and other forms of ill-treatment.
The project builds on the former project “Atlas of Torture: Monitoring and Preventing Torture Worldwide – Building Upon the Work of the UN Special Rapporteur” which aimed to disseminate the work of the UN Special Rapporteur on Torture, Manfred Nowak.
- Project Title: Atlas of Torture: An Information and Cooperation Platform to Fight Torture and Ill-Treatment Worldwide
- Project Consortium: Huridocs, Ludwig Boltzmann Institute of Fundamental and Human Rights
- Project Respansability LBI-GMR: Giuliana Monina
- Project Duration: since January 2018
- Funding Sources: Crowdfunding, FWF The Science Fund
- Programme Line LBI-GMR: Human Dignity and Public Security
Head of Programme Line (Parental Leave)+43 1 4277-27439 firstname.lastname@example.org