Webinar: Disciplinary Sanction Regimes in Youth Detention Facilities
Friday, 24 November 2023, 10:00 am to 1:30 pm
The Ludwig Boltzmann Institute of Fundamental and Human Rights together with the Children’s Rights European Academic Network will organise a high-level Zoom-webinar on the topic of disciplinary sanctions in youth detention facilities in Europe.
The Ludwig Boltzmann Institute of Fundamental and Human Rights (LBI-GMR) together with the Children’s Rights European Academic Network (CREAN) will organise a public high-level Zoom-webinar on the topic of disciplinary sanctions in youth detention facilities in Europe on Friday, 24 November 2023, from 10:00 am to 1:30 pm. Among others, the Austrian Ombudsman Board will present on the Austrian context.
In its most recent special report on juvenile justice, the Austrian Ombudsman Board (Volksanwaltschaft) has revealed shortcomings between the legal framework and the practical implementation of disciplinary sanctions in youth detention facilities. Initial research has shown that disciplinary sanction regimes in other states face similar challenges: Existing rules are being contested or are under reform to meet contemporary dynamics within the youth justice system.
The interdisciplinary webinar will focus on those developments behind the bars by showcasing esteemed academics who will contribute with their scholarly perspectives and by including reports from experienced practitioners and civil society representatives from the youth justice field. After an introduction to the topic, including an expert key note, a contextualization, and an overview of relevant international (soft law) standards, three national disciplinary sanction regimes will be discussed and it will be debated to which extent they comply with international child rights standards. The webinar will close with prospects of advancing alternatives to disciplinary sanctions.
- Ton Liefaard (Professor of Children’s Rights and holder of the UNICEF Chair in Children’s Rights at Leiden University)
- Helmut Sax (Child Rights Senior Researcher at the LBI-GMR)
- Ursula Kilkelly (Professor of law at University College Cork with expertise in international children’s rights law)
- Mariama Diallo (Coordinator of the Child Friendly Justice European Network)
- Manuela Albl (Austrian Ombudsman Board)
- Susanna Marietti (National Coordinator of ANTIGONE)
- Silvia Randazzo (Independent Expert Consultant on Restorative Justice)
Moderation: Roberta Ruggiero (CREAN) & Hauke Benjes-Pitcz (LBI-GMR)
Please register here.