Closing event of the Twinning Project “Support to the Office of the People’s Advocate and promotion of human rights in Albania”
The People’s Advocate Albania together with its Member State Partners, Austrian Ombudsman Board and the Ludwig Boltzmann Institute of Fundamental and Human Rights, successfully finalized the Twinning Project.
On Tuesday, June 13th 2023, the People’s Advocate Office in Albania hosted the closing event of the Twinning Project “Support to the Office of the People’s Advocate and promotion of human rights in Albania”, funded by the European Union in the framework of the Instrument for Pre-accession Assistance.
The Administrative Director of the Ludwig Boltzmann Institute of Fundamental and Human Rights (LBI-GMR), Patricia Mussi-Mailer, was one of the representatives from the partner organizations, opening the event. As many others she emphasised the good co-operation between partners in implementing this project and pointed out its role in the integration process of Albania into the EU. “Twinning projects mean to tackle jointly various challenging and urging obstacles in implementing common European values and confessions regarding democratic structures, rule of law and human rights.”
After the opening words, Peter Kastner, Member State Project Leader/Deputy Chief of Cabinet at the Austrian Ombudsman Board, and Tatjana Vlasic, expert and Deputy Ombudswoman of Croatia, presented the project’s objectives and results.
The objectives of the project were to align the current legal framework in force on the protection and promotion of human rights with the EU acquis (this means the collection of common rights and obligations that constitute the body of EU law), to strengthen the capacity of the People’s Advocate Institution as a National Human Rights Institution and to provide recommendations for an upgrade of the case management system of the People’s Advocate according to successful models of EU member states.
The results of the project in line with its objectives:
- A gap analysis followed by amendments to the existing law “For the People’s Advocate”
- Revisions of the internal documents with EU acquis inspired recommendations for better work in protection and promotion of human rights
- Fact-based analysis regarding capacity building needs of the staff and local regional office representatives
- Organisation of open days in local areas with the participation of local offices as a coaching opportunity in field
- Provision of models for better monitoring and oversight of implementing status of recommendations provided by the People’s Advocate to the central and local government
- Recommendations and study visit regarding the Austrian case management system and guidelines for the improvement of daily work for all case managers
For more information about the Twinning project go to: